ATTENTION, DERBY FANS: THE START TIME FOR THE 2017 BLAINE COUNTY SHOWDOWN DEMOLITION DERBY HAS BEEN CHANGED TO 6PM, instead of 5pm as originally scheduled, to beat the heat. See you at 6pm, Saturday night!
CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE, PDF VERSION: 2017 Derby rules
Derby tickets are now available online at: https://blainecountyfair.net/demolition-derby/
BLAINE COUNTY DEMOLITION DERBY
JULY 15, 2017
Entry Fee $75.00 (If pre-registered by July 15, 2017)
Entry Fee will be $100.00 the day of the derby
$5000.00 1ST PLACE, $2000.00 2ND PLACE, $1000.00 3RD PLACE, $200.00 for Best Painted Car & Hard Luck Heat Winners will have a shot at the Championship Heat. Heat winners will receive $100.00 for winning their heat.
DEFINITION OF DISQUALIFIED: Car and driver will not be permitted to participate in ANY RACE FOR THE REST OF THE EVENT!
RULES PERTAINING TO DRIVERS
- All drivers must know and obey all rules for safety that the committee set up or they will be disqualified.
- Drivers must be 16 years old or over, or have signed parental consent.
- Drivers must have a valid driver’s license and must present it at the time of registration
- All drivers and pitmen enter at their own risk.
- All drivers and their crew members must fill out and sign derby release forms or they will not be permitted to enter the pit area.
- All drivers must wear seat belts and/or shoulder harnesses. JUDGES WILL CHECK BEFORE ENTERING THE ARENA.
- All drivers must wear crash helmets that meet federal Z90.1 standards. No hard hats allowed. Helmets must remain on at all times while cars are still in the arena.
- Drivers must leave the arena driving SLOWLY and CAREFULLY or they will be disqualified and barred from the Chinook derbies.
- ANY DRIVER AND/OR THEIR CREW CAUGHT CONSUMING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED!!!
- In the event of a fire and it is put out, the driver can re-enter the race if he has time left on the hit clock and has not raised his flag. In the event of a second fire, the driver will be out.
- If your car does not pass inspection and is disqualified by these rules, the entry fee WILL NOT BE REFUNDED!!!
RULES PERTAINING TO CAR
- All chrome, loose metal, glass and interior except for the dash must be removed from car
- Car should be neatly painted, and have your number on the roof and both front doors. Driver’s door must be painted opposite color of car.
- Back seat must be removed and in its place securely mount the gas tank and tranny cooler. No rubber straps, Tank and cooler must be mounted with bolts or tied down with metal straps.
- Original gas tank must be removed. Don’t just cut a hole in it. TAKE IT OUT!!!
- No more than five gallons of gas in tank at the start of the race.
- Radiator must be in original position, no reserve water tanks
- A bar must be vertically mounted in windshield opening to prevent hood from coming in car. One bar only no H bracing to support fire wall opening
- Battery must be mounted on passenger side floor board of car. Batteries must be securely mounted in an enclosed box to prevent punctures. They must be held down securely to the floor of the car and covered. No rubber straps or wire
- No pickups or convertibles allowed
- Brakes must be in good working condition at start of derby
- Drivers can install a cage. Dash bars, H braces, and Halo bars are allowed. You can install a bar from right side upright to dash bar along the inside of passenger door. Cage may not be mounted any further back than the backside of the front seat. Uprights must be bolted within 4 inches of tubing. NO KICKERS ALLOWED!!!!!
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place cars will be inspected following the championship heat
- Other than the driver only two pit persons are allowed in the pit area at the start of the derby. Pit persons must sign a release form.
- Gate opens at 10:00 am, July 15, 2017. All cars must be at the arena by 3:00 pm for inspection. The derby will start at 5:00pm
- Championship heat will begin after the Calcutta auction. If consolation heat winners can not make it back to the arena in the time deadline they will not run in championship heat. (we will give you as much time as we possibly can)
- If a car is rolled on its roof, it is disqualified. If rolled on its side it will be put back on its wheels and may re-enter the race if it is deemed safe by the judges
- Any car ran in a previous derby must meet all Blaine County Showdown Derby rules!!!
- ABSOULUTLY NO HOLDING!!!!!
- Using drivers door as a shield will be considered in judgment on driver’s door hits
- Team driving will not be tolerated. You will receive one warning for teaming and that will be at the drivers meeting. (THIS WILL BE YOUR ONE AND ONLY WARNING) If you are caught teaming during the derby you will have two choices. #1 Leave the arena, load your car and leave. #2 Park your car in the middle of the arena and get out. You will stand on the side lines while everybody gets a free shot at your car for one minute. When the minute is up you will be allowed to get back in your car and re-enter the race. There will be no exceptions on this rule.
- ABSOULUTLY NO SANDBAGGING!!!!!!!! If you are caught sandbagging there is no warning, we will mark your car with a pink X and may God have mercy on ya!
- Pre-entry forms MUST be received on or before July 14, 2017. Entry forms must be returned to Scott Skoyen @ 660 Cleveland Rd Chinook MT 59523 (406-945-2455). Only entries with ENTRY FEES PAID (made payable to: Blaine County Fair) will be accepted. Make sure if you use a certain number on your car that you write it on the entry form or you may not get the number you want. First come, First serve.
- Consolation heat number one will be cars from heats 1, 2, and 3. Consolation heat number two will be from heats 4, 5, and 6. If you miss your consolation heat, you are disqualified. Consolation heats will have a minimum of eight cars. 1ST place winners of the consolation heats advance to the Championship Heat.
- Championship Heat will begin after the Calcutta auction. If consolation heat winners are not ready within the time dead-line, they will not run in the Championship Heat.
- All cars removed after dark must be on a lighted trailer or removed by 9:00am July 16, 2017. If not removed by then they will become property of Eastside Auto Salvage, and will have to be worked out with him to get the car back.
- All door seems, hood seems, and trunk seems may be welded solid. You may use 2” X 1/8 flat strap or 1/2 cold roll or rebar. Nothing bigger!
- Hood may be folded down in front but may not be welded to the bumper.
- Bumpers may be welded solid. (no added metal) Bumpers may not be welded to the body. Except for the 2 inch straps in rule 5.No Loaded Bumpers Allowed
- Bumpers may be swapped on any car Except for 1967 and newer Chrysler Imperials and imperial sub framed cars. These cars must have original style bumper or no bumper at all. (NO EXCEPTIONS SO DON’T EVEN ASK !!!!!!!) No mounting of front bumpers on rear of car. Stock style bumper only on rear of car.
- Two 2” X 1/4 straps may be run from the bumper or frame up to the hood and trunk. No more than 6 inches of weld on each end of the flat strap. The front straps may go around ready bolt in the hood.
- Frame seams may only be welded fire wall forward. All body cars may be tilted. Body pucks may be removed if wanted.
- Engines may be welded down in all 4 corners. If engine swap is done engine must sit within 4 inches of original position. If you are running a full cradle u may only tie it down in the factory motor mount position no tie down straps of any kind
- Transmission girdles will be allowed but may not touch body of car at anytime. If you run one you must split the floor hump from fire wall to transmission tail shaft. Transmission cannot be tied down in any way must free float on cross member
- Full engine cradles will be allowed but may not touch body of car or dash bar at any time our u will be disqualified for the heat so if it is getting close in heat or main I recommend cutting it.
- Distributor protectors will be allowed but may not be attached to the body or touching the body of the car in any way.
- Drivers door may have a side iron on exterior of door not exceeding more than 6 inches past door on either side.
- All FRAMES WILL BE SCOPED NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!
- No welding of frame holes will be allowed. No pin welding allowed
- All cars may tilt 4 inches at crush box. All cars must have bumper height of at least 18 inches to center of bumper. Front and rear
- Driver’s cage may be welded or bolted into car but must not exceed farther back than the rear of driver’s seat. Uprights must be bolted within 4 inches of tubing. (NO KICKERS ALLOWED)
- You may install a dash bar, side bar, halo bar, and H bar if preferred. Rear window bar will be allowed but must be within 4 inches of rear window seam no bigger than 2 inches in diameter no more than 4 inch pad to mount to car
- Hood may be bolted down in 9 spots and bolts may be no bigger than 1 inch.
- Washers may be welded to the hood. Washers are to be no larger than 4 inches.
- Ready rod may be attached to the core support and frame and go through the hood this will count as two of your hood bolts.
- Body bolts may be changed out. No larger than a 5/8 bolt, with exception of core support bolts (no larger than 1 inch bolts). Body washers no larger than 3”X 1/4”.
- Wheel well folds may be bolted in no more than four spots with no larger than 3\8 bolts with a 1 inch o\d washer.
- Hood cut outs may be bolted. There must be 6 inch spacing between bolts. Bolts no larger than 3/8 with a 1 inch o/d washer.
- Sub frame style cars rear frames may be bolted down with 1/4”X 1 1/2 long bolts.
- Two Ready rods may be placed in the trunk going through the frame not to exceed 1 inch in diameter. No more than a 4 inch washer. If you prefer to bolt your trunk instead of weld it you may use up to a 3/8 bolt with 1 inch o/d washer and must have a 6 inch spacing.
- Pre bending and folding may be bolted with a 3/8 bolt with 1 inch o/d washer with 6 inch spacing. Or welded with a one inch bead every six inches no added metal. You can not do both. Hammered body seams may not be welded or bolted NO EXCEPTIONS
PRE-BENDING & CUTTING
- Car body’s may be pre-bent or cut before the derby. Use some common sense when doing this, No wedging or sedagons, the car still needs to look like a car when you are done not a ramp. SO DON’T GO OVERBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Trunks may be cut and tucked. You may use 3/8 bolts with a 1 inch o/d washer. Bolts must have a 6 inch spacing. Or welded 1 inch every six inches
- Frames may be notched for pre-bending but may not be re-welded after they are notched.
- Hoods may be folded down in front of core support and bolted to the core support with 3/8 bolts with 1 inch o/d washers. Bolts must have a 6 inch spacing. Or welded 1 inch every 6 inches
- Fenders may be bent and tucked. They may be bolted with 3\8 bolts and 1 inch o/d washers. Bolts must have a 6 inch spacing. Or welded 1 inch every 6 inches
- Cars may be hammered and rolled.
- NO WELDEING OF HAMMERD BODY SEAMS
SUSPENSION & DRIVE TRAIN
- Coil cars may be leafed. No more than a passenger car leaf and no more than 9 leafs per spring pack & 3 clamps per leaf pack.No axle savers Allowed, and No aftermarket spindels allowed.
- Leafed cars may run link bars from previous suspension.
- Leaf cars may run link bars on there suspension.
- Front suspension maybe welded solid to height.
- Rear humps may be chained.
- Coils may be welded or chained in.
- Shackles may be flipped or chained back.
- When installing leafs or added metal use factory style hangers and shackles.
- No full floating axles allowed!!!!!!!!!
- No studded tires, foam filled tires, or solid tires allowed.
- You may have valve stem protectors.
- Tire flaps are allowed.
- Tranny lines must be steel or steel braded hose, to at least behind the driver’s seat. This is for your own personal safety.
- Any hole in fire wall exceeding 10 inches should be covered with rubber flap of some kind.
PRE-RAN CAR REPAIR
- Frame may be patched in 4 places only so pick the worst spots. Metal may be no thicker than the frame 3/16” steel. Patch may not exceed 4 inches past the damaged area, or be more than 10 inches in total length. Remember you only have 4 patches so use them wisely
- Rips and tears may be repaired if they are larger than 10 inches. Welds on repairs may only be welded 2 inches every 4 inches (two inches of weld with a four inch spacing).
- Absolutely no bridging of humps
- Large holes in body may be patched. Patch must be no more than one inch bigger than the hole being repaired.
WILL RESULT IF YOU DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING
DURING THE DEMOLITION DERBY
- Hit a driver’s door. Exception: If pushed into the driver’s door by another vehicle.
- Remove your seat belt or helmet, or leave your car for any reason during the heat. Exception: Your car is on fire.
- Go out of bounds. Boundaries will be birm or ditch. If you get three wheels out of bounds, you will be disqualified from that heat even if forced out of bounds by another car.
- It is the sole responsibility of the driver of a flagged car to make sure his flag is kept up and visible. If a flagged car is hit by an active racer, and the flag was not visible the flagged car is disqualified. But, if an active car hits a flagged car, he is also disqualified.
- Failure to hit another car every 30 seconds while car is running, or 3 minutes to get the car running and hit another car. Drivers will only receive ONE WARNING! Rocking cars stuck together does not count.
- Moving your car for any reason after flag is up. TURN OFF YOUR ENGINE WHEN YOUR FLAG IS UP!
- No erratic driving outside of the arena.
- Failure to abide by the rules will be grounds for disqualification from future Blaine County Fair Demolition Derbies.
- Pit speeding (5 mph) and hot rodding will be an immediate disqualification!
- ABSOLUTELY NO PROFANITY ON CARS OR THERE WILL BE IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION WITH NO REFUND OF ENTRY FEE!!!
- Engine cradle touches car body or dash bar at anytime
Blaine County Showdown Chain Only Derby
- This is a one heat derby so no extra parts needed
- All chrome, glass, interior, fuel tank, headliner must be removed from car
- Limit of two chains per door seam, no larger than 3/8 chain. No wire must be chain.
- Two chains in trunk, two chains in hood
- Motor must be stock; no major engine mods can be done. Headers and 4 barrel is ok. No large cams or stall converters
- Engine may be chained down but absolutely no welding of any kind to hold down engine
- This is an old school style derby so no cages or dash bars allowed
- Must have one bar vertically mounted in windshield opening
- Must have stock suspension
- No bumper swaps allowed
- Battery must be moved to inside floor board of car
- Gas tank must be moved to inside car
- No pre bending of any kind will be allowed
- This is a simple build so if it doesn’t say you can do it don’t! If you have questions call Scott Skoyen at 945-2455
FOR CHAIN DERBY
FOR CHAIN DERBY
HOW CAGE SHOULD LOOK INSIDE WELDED CAR
Send entry forms to:
660 Cleveland Rd
Chinook, MT 59523
Call 945-2455 if you have any questions
Make checks payable to:
Blaine County Fair
BLAINE COUNTY FAIR DEMOLITION DERBY
WE HAVE RECEIVED, READ AND UNDERSTAND THE RULES ESTABLISHED FOR THE BLAINE COUNTY FAIR DEMOLITION DERBY TO BE HELD July 15, 2017
WAIVER AND RELEASE
For and in consideration of my entrance in the Blaine County Fair Demolition Derby on July 15, 2017. I hereby waive any and all claims for damages and causes of action that I have or might have in connection with or arising out of my participation in said Demo Derby.
I, the undersigned, for myself and for my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, do hereby release and forever discharge the Blaine County Fair Demolition Derby Committee and Blaine County Fair Board, and all of its individual members and all other persons associations or corporations which might have any connection what- so- ever with the Blaine County Fair Demolition Derby, both jointly and individually, and their heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns from any and all claims, demands, damages, causes of action and liabilities that I have or might have by reason of any and all injuries, losses and damage, known and unknown, both to person and property, which may be caused or might in the future, arise or develop from or by reason of my participation in any way in the Demolition Derby sponsored by the Blaine County Fair to be held in Chinook, MT. on the 15th day of July 2017.
IN WITNESS THEREOF, I HAVE SET MY HAND THIS __15th__DAY OF ____JULY____, 2017.
Signature: __________________________Parent/Guardian: ____________________
Owner: ____________________________ Phone: _____________________________
Crewmember: ____________________________Phone: ________________________
Car #:___________ THIS ENTRY MUST BE FILLED OUT TO ITS ENTIRETY OR IT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED TO BE A VALID ENTRY.